Monday, September 10, 2007

Always scanning the ground near my ankles

This Saturday, Andrew went with our friend Stephen, to help set the Hash course for the afternoon’s hash. They went north of the city to a village area because Stephen wanted to do something rural and rural it was. Andrew came back with tales of running through rice paddies with knee-deep mud and a few close calls with snakes. This was enough to freak him out and for us not to do the afternoon Hash.
Snakes in Myanmar are a scary thing because there are many and they are poisonous. Granted, I have not seen one snake since I have been here especially since I live a major city, but I am sure they are around. Myanmar is number 2 or 3 in terms of the highest number of poisonous snakes. I think it trails Borneo.
The elementary school principal Donny is renting a house with a large backyard somewhere in Yangon. He told a story of his neighbor’s large German Shepard dog getting bit by a snake in the backyard and dying within 20 minutes of the bite! Yikes!
Donny shows dogs and has 3-4 dogs of his own at his place. In order to combat the snakes, he went out and bought 6 chickens for his yard. Supposedly, chickens start to rouse when a snake is near and they will actually corner it or surround it. I’m not really sure if that is true, but it would be worth a try.

No comments: