Monday, September 10, 2007

Sunday biking

I had a good weekend overall with a few ups and downs. We went out for Indian food saturday night with our neighbors Donald and Kristy, but Ithink it didn't agree with me because I threw it up in the middle of the night. Luckily I felt fine the next day, so Andrew and I went on a long bike ride north of the city to find this big lake. We ended up missing the turn off to the lake and biking around for 5 hours (with a lunch and snack break in between) where I was exhausted and a little frustrated at the end. We got about halfway back to Yangon and then took a taxi back into the city, because I literally could bike no further. The roads are bumpy and both my arms and butt hurt from enduring the rides, not to mention being out in the sun for that long. The redeeming quality about that ride was seeing a wild peacock on one of the side roads and finding a WWII cemetary. The weirdest part was having to go pee at a park in the country and walking to the bathroom, when a group of Burmese stopped me because there was a green and black snake (most likely poisonous but not sure) blocking the bathroom door. Just my luck! I really have to pee and there was a snake there. After the snake was scared away, I could relive myself, but not without some fear of having a snake attack me. We watched the really bad movie Snakes on a Plane last weekend while on the bus coming back from the beach, so the timing couldn't have been worse. See the snake post below for more snake stories. I generally do not feel too nervous about snakes in my daily life, but it can't hurt to be cautious.
After that crazy bike ride, I insisted that Andrew treat me to room service with dessert. So we ordered the special which is a soup, entree and dessert for only $4.50, it is a special for teachers staying at the Dusit resort.
We had chicken and peppers cooked in a sauce with a penne pasta side, some sort of pea soup and a custard dessert. I'm not sure if Andrew enjoyed it but I sure did. Tonight we are going to go out for Thai food at a place that we can walk to in 10minutes. They make a great curry and noodle soup. Other than that, things are good. It rained all day today, which cooled it down. : )It was sunny all weekend, which is strange for the rainy season. I haven't seen any more giant spiders. I think they only live down atthe beach. My stomach has been feeling a lot better, so I think I have mostly adjusted to the new bacteria-Yahoo!

No comments: